Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sight Confidence


I just read a pretty good article in today’s Tactical Wire titled “Skill Set: The Speed of Sight” by Tiger McKee, the Director of Shootrite Firearms Academy. His article talked about how much time you can lose in a shooting situation, just by changing your focus from your sight picture to your target in an attempt to see where your bullet impacted.

This got me thinking about how I shoot, and how I train. If I’m just plinking, I’m guilty of taking a shot and peeking at the target to see where I hit. When I shoot a USPSA match, I don’t shift until I think I’m done with a target. Then I usually decide if I want to take another shot for a better score or not.

Tiger talked about how they discourage people from peeking by not taping targets. He mentioned negative targets. They have a hole in them so you can’t see where your bullet went, unless of course it’s a bad shot. This is where my wheels started turning. I’ve wanted to get some USPSA or IDPA targets to take to the range to practice with, but taping is a pain because it could be an hour or more between cold periods on the range. Plus I wouldn’t go through as many targets this way.

Two or three negative targets set at various distances would be ideal. It would let me shoot as much as I like at different distances and at the same time I’d learn not to change my focus. Now, unless I’m totally off base with this, I’d naturally become more confident in sighting and shot placement. I guess I could even gradually make the cut outs smaller to help with accuracy.

Okay, now I’m all excited about getting to the range again to try this out. I’m going to have to make some target stands first. Catch ya’ll later. If you need me, I’ll be in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment