Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Do I Need an AR-15?

The Enhanced MAC-15 by MA Custom Guns

I had been mulling it over since last summer. Do I need an AR-15? I certainly wanted one, but why? Everyone has different reasons why they want/need an AR-15 rifle. The reasons range from:

Versatility – Home defense, competition, hunting, recreational target shooting

Adaptability – An AR-15 with a 5.56 lower receiver can be used for 15 different calibers by only changing the upper receiver. By changing the upper receiver and the bolt carrier group, that same lower will work for about 26 more calibers.
Reliability – This is a source of contention for many folks, but there are videos proving a properly maintained and lubricated AR-15 is just as, if not slightly more reliable than an AK.
Disaster defense – For when the fecal matter impacts the reciprocating oscillator. Whether it’s a complete and total collapse of the US government, or the four horsemen of the apocalypse, you want a reliable and accurate rifle to defend you and yours.
Competition – 3 gun competitions are becoming more popular across the country. You could try to use a Ruger Mini-14 or an AK, but they aren't as accurate at longer ranges as the AR.
Hunting – Since the AR-15 can be converted to so many different calibers, it’s ideal for hunting a wide variety of game. People use the AR platform for hunting varmints like ground hogs and coyotes all the way up to hogs, deer, and dangerous predators.
Plinking – Whether or not you convert an AR from a centerfire caliber down to .22LR, they are still fun to just spend time at the range plinking.
So here is the basis for your justification to buy an AR-15. You’ll have to figure out the details of the story if you need to clear it with the boss. Some would say now is the time to buy before another Assault Weapons Ban is enacted. Some say that’s not going to happen. You’ll have to decide that for yourselves.
I bought mine with the hopes of getting into 3 gun competitions, for plinking, and for home defense. I knew they weren't getting any cheaper, so this past spring, I took the plunge. I found a model with the features I wanted and a dealer that backed his product. I could have tried to dicker with him, but if I don’t have any problems with the product; or if I do, I don’t have to worry about his warranty; it was worth the extra money in my opinion.
Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment