Monday, February 11, 2013

Product Review: Tapco 30 Round Mini-14 Magazine



I've wanted to get more magazines for my Ruger Mini-14 for a few years, but Ruger wanted like $30 a piece for them. (Now they sell for $40 and up , if you can find them.) Reading around on the gun forums, I learned about Tapco magazines. I’d heard mixed reviews so I finally broke down and bought one. I figured that for $12 if the negative reviews were correct, I wasn’t out an arm and a leg. If it turned out okay, I would buy a few more.


Well, it took me a while to get it to the range, and sure enough, it let me down. There were no problems loading the magazine, but it took 4 or 5 tries to finally “force” it into the gun, and then the bolt wouldn’t close. So, the negative reviews were correct. Maybe people have some good experiences with these mags. I’d like to hear them. Has anyone tried sending them back to Tapco for an exchange?

So I learned my lesson. I’m so glad I didn’t buy half a dozen of them. This should be a lesson to all of you as well. When you buy gear, test it before putting it into service to protect yourself or your loved ones. Can you imagine what would happen if I went to use this mag in the middle of the night with someone sneaking up my hallway?

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment