Saturday, July 13, 2013

An Armed Society is a Polite Society

Most of us have heard the expression, “An armed society is a polite society.” It implies that people will not set out to assault or provoke others as their “victim” may be armed and capable of defending themselves.

I know it wasn’t meant this way, but I also like to interpret the saying as, “Gun people are some of the nicest people you’ll come across.” When I re-entered the gun world three years ago, it surprised me how many people I knew were gun enthusiasts as well. It was almost like (and I use the term loosely) a secret society within society. People offered help, plenty of advice, and even equipment to help me get started.

Now I’m considering reloading my ammunition, and in talking to other gun folks, another secret society is coming out of the woodwork. The reloading (or handloading) society seems to be even more polite and helpful than I’ve already experienced in the top tier of the “Gun World.” Guys have offered plenty of advice on equipment selection, best practices, and even offered to use their equipment to show me how.

I get the impression that handloaders hold themselves above the common shooter, due to the higher risks involved in loading their own ammunition. I don’t get the impression that it’s an arrogance, but from talking to folks that load their own, I get the impression that this part of the hobby isn’t for everyone.

So I’m wondering, if reloading is another layer of the shooting hobby, is there another tier below it? Any input? Feel free to leave a comment.


Be safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment