Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veterans Day

US Navy Enlisted Submarine Warfare Insignia
I served in the US Navy aboard a nuclear powered submarine in the early '80's. I was only on active duty for 3 years before transferring to the active reserves. I didn't serve during a shooting war, so sometimes I don't think of myself as a veteran. Then I remember that even though the Cold War wasn't a shooting war, I was still there preserving the peace and freedom of the United States of America.

We've all heard the horror stories of Vietnam vets coming home and being spat on. While I was in the Navy, it wasn't that bad, but we were definitely looked down upon by the civilian population. Not since World War II have service men and women been welcomed, recognized, and praised like they are today. I am so glad that we, as a country, are finally giving our veterans the recognition they deserve, and I hope it never changes.

And if there are any veterans out there that, like me, think they didn't contribute anything during their time in service, please think again. You did play an important role in the defense of our great country. Every command is a team, and there are no unnecessary members on those teams. On the boats (submarines), we used to have an internal rivalry about which rate was more important, but we all knew that we couldn't get underway without every member of the crew. 

Thank you fellow veterans, and your families, for your service and sacrifice in the defense of this great nation. We, as a nation, cannot thank you enough.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment