Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Lunacy is Still Out There

It's been a little over a year since what I like to call The Panic of '13 hit. Guns and ammunition were flying off the shelves as fast as stores could stock them. Over the last year we've seen crazy prices on everything from $99 standard capacity magazines to insanely priced ammunition. I guess this is how supply and demand works essentially.


Everywhere I've been in the last several months, display cases and racks are full of guns again. Ammunition is slowly rebounding as well. My experience with ammunition has been that it's rebounding faster on the Internet than it is in the brick and mortar stores. I've been in a Bass Pro Shops store in Hampton, VA recently and their displays are full of guns, but the ammunition they put out on the shelves is slim pickings. Some rifle calibers seemed to be abundant, but they were the oddballs.


Shopping on the Internet, I've been able to readily buy remanufactured .45ACP for the last 4-5 months at slightly higher than pre-Panic prices. Rifle ammunition has been a little bit harder to come by at respectable prices, but it can be had if you have patience and shop around a bit.


The unicorn of the ammunition world is still .22LR. People are obviously still buying any and everything they can find at obviously stupid prices. Why do I say obviously? Look at what people are selling it for. They are finding suckers every minute.


I've networked with a few people to keep our eyes peeled for .22LR ammunition. One of these people is my older sister. She called me this morning from a flea market in north Florida because she found a guy selling some .22LR. I asked her how much he wanted and for how many. $15 for a box of 100. As we're talking a friend of hers came up and she asked if he had any. He did, and told her, "for you, $7 for a box of 50." (Gee, what a good friend.) So I told her I'd pass unless she found some for less than 10 cents a piece. Pre-Panic prices that I remember were running around 5 cents a round.


I'll continue to plink with .38 and .45 at those prices. I know what you're thinking. Those aren't cheap to shoot. No, they aren't, but there are ways to reduce those costs. Buying remanufactured is one way, and the other way is to reload your own. Until people quit hoarding .22's and feeding the Panic machine, that's what I plan to do.


Be safe.

1 comment:

  1. Must not be as much profit margin with the .22's as with the larger calibers. With gun and ammo sales starting to decline significantly we should start seeing the .22 LR unicorn's within 6 months. I hope so because there are lots of boys and girls camps and programs where they use the .22 to introduce them to the sport and teach them proper firearm safety. These habits when learned young will stay with them for life.

    I have a few thousand rounds stockpiled from before the panic. I shoot the .22's sparingly and help friends a bit to keep some .22 rounds handy. Some use them for home protection. While not my first choice; a good shot placement will do the trick in a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete